Saturday, November 24, 2007

It has taken me five semesters to understand some basic facts. But the discovery of these obvious facts has been bewildering me for the past few days. Well, it's a pity that it took so long even when the first year would have been enough for a prudent and straight-minded being.

I have realized many things which will take a very long time to explain over here. I'll thus be precise and straight-forward in my dealings with the reader.

I could never imagine that some day I'll be such a hard-core movie buff. What is even more amazing is that this passion has come at an expense of academics, which I have willingly accepted. Considering that before coming to IIT I kept my nose to the grindstone, it was difficult for me to acknowledge this paradigm shift.

The best thing to happen to me is of course Quizzing. A wannabe quizzer, I am still surprised that how this passion developed in me. I can still remember how miserable I felt after attending the first quiz in August last year. It was a Format A event and the presence of so many people inside a tiny SAC Common Room, gave me fearful jitters. Moreover, the plight of sitting ignorantly and gaping at each question and its answer is too embarrassing to reminisce.

But I know I have come a long way since then and that's not even a drop in the ocean. Even now, many a times I'm left completely clueless as to what's going on. That's the beauty of quizzing. The more you learn, the more you are motivated to learn. People say that quizzing is just remembering some bizarre pieces of information. Well sometimes it is that way. But an experience of a year tells me that quizzing is much more than that. To put it simply it is just about being as much aware as you can be regarding your surroundings and your world. It has made me much more culturally aware and has helped me transcend that ignorance which is actually a void in common man's persona. It changes the way you perceive the world.

All this has put motors and transformers in the back-stage. What can I do? If they have failed to enrapture me then it is not my fault. I know how pitiably I studied the machines course. Though Signals and Systems was much more interesting, even then it doesn't hold that much importance which I have bestowed upon quizzing and cinema.

Are these times contagious
I've never been this bored before
Is this the prize I've waited for
Now as the hours passing
There's nothing left here to mature
I long to find a messenger

Have I got a long way to run...
- Collective Soul

0 comments: