Sunday, December 23, 2007

The holidays that separated two semesters

My internet connection has been quite stubborn lately. I have wanted to write so much all these days. Now, I forget what all was there to share through this opaque medium.

I have read a few books in the last couple of weeks. Currently, I'm reading a book called The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. I was in Eloor a few days back and I saw this book(by sheer chance) lying in some obscure corner. I sometimes feel that I have an eye of catching not-so-common things. But this notion is immediately subverted by the conscience.

The Great Gatsby is a good read. I finished it recently and found myself liking the style of the author. A lot can be said about Jay Gatsby but then the debate becomes redundant with same old cliched jargon comprising of materialism, loss of humanism, hypocrisy and other middle-class traits. This has been a subject of much consternation in one of my lecture classes this semester. The professor was unable to accept the stark reality of diminishing class strength, loss of respect for lectures and the importance given to exams and grades.

0 comments: