Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Probability is...

Of late I have developed a habit of reading first three-four pages of a book before I decide whether I'll continue with it or not. Not that this method does not help. The only bone of contention is the time I spend in choosing the next book to be read. After much ado(about nothing) I chose this book called Chances Are...:Adventures in Probability by Michael Kaplan and Ellen Kaplan. One of my friend got this book from USA and since then it has become some sort of a rage in the hostel. It is always like that. For instance, some time back A Train to Pakistan became a hit just like a Hollywood blockbuster. More recently The Satanic Verses developed a cult status and could be found circulating from room to room.

One of my friend got so inspired by the probability book that he got it photocopied and has been advising others to read it.

Over the years the study of probability and stochastic processes has gained a lot of momentum. Since the foray of Investment Banks and Consultancies in the placement scenario at our campus, the demand for the courses dealing with these topics has seen a steep rise. People these days are more busy in formulating business plans. There is a mad rush for management and finance related courses.

I did a course dealing with probability this semester and just avoided flunking it. All along I knew that I can score easily in this course. But somehow that notion didn't translate into concrete results. Descartes was not right in his idea of 'I think, therefore I am' over here.

But I must say that I have some interest in economics. I like the way government and RBI deal with the market and sometimes it becomes very challenging to analyze the prevailing bullish/bearish trends. Moreover, every small change can have immediate global-level consequences which can leave you gawking sometimes.

No movies for me until Jan 2. No compulsion or anything like that. It's just that I'm at home and would like to maintain the decorum. Otherwise, in hostel I have the bad habit of starting with the second as soon as the first is over. I can't do that here. So when I saw The Wizard of Oz recently it left me pining for more. But he good news is that soon I'll be going to watch Taare Zameen Par which undoubtedly attracted unwanted attention in Gujarat. Yes, yes the same Narmada dam controversy which hit Fanaa last year, though it seems that situation is not that serious.

This reminds me of the the following song.

First step, your last breath
everything's been planned
there's questions, and answers
you'll never understand
I hold on, but let go
I give you room to breath
Remember, the best things
will never mind to change
starting at the ending
It won't break, while your bending
been there, and back again
and when the music ends..
-Ashley Parker Angel

0 comments: