Friday, December 28, 2007

Even the city of Djinns hasn't been enchanting enough to sustain interest after 100 pages. I bought this book from Eloor. I've been hearing stories about it since quite some time. There was a book exhibition during Literati -Board of Student Welfare annual fest this year. This book was part of that but money constraint did me in.

What a morale booster this book has been. Here is the book(much much better than the Five Point Someone balderdash) which is a must for the underdogs at IIT(me too). I have found a much needed solace in this book. I wish I'd known about it being so good.

The book truthfully describes the discreet charms of being an IITian. And yes I've spent five lacklustre semesters doing just that without any avail. It will definitely take me the next three as well in doing just the same. I hope I've the last laugh.

It was very hearting to know that an IITian is not made in just the classroom. It takes four years of nourishment to produce this unique species. Author has gone to the lengths of taking even the incorrigibly egregious Mess food into account, that it is a part of a long-term strategy to make us invincible world-beaters.

So I know that it is not bad to waste time at IIT after all. It depends on how you waste it. Perhaps it is better to waste time than sleep in the lecture theatres. Besides, this diversity is the reason that IITians have taken every field they have touched upon by storm. I was astonished to hear that Jagmohan Mundhra-the director of Provoked, is a pass out from IIT Bombay graduate. He went on to pursue the MBA programme at Michigan State University. He stayed on to do his M.A. in Advertising and a Ph.D in Marketing from the same University. Finally, in 1973, he wrote his doctoral thesis on “Marketing of Motion Pictures”. Well, that has given me another option to think about after I pass-out.

The fun lies in reading the chapter you think is important. Instead of following the conventional approach, I decided to hop and that has been fruitful.

0 comments: